Monday, October 12, 2009

Przepraszam. (I am sorry)

Ahhhh! Where has the time gone to? I have not written since after week two- it is now week eight. To all of my fellow exchangers that update their blog on a weekly basis, a question for you: HOW DO YOU DO IT?!

I have really settled into my life here. Wroclaw is my new home. I love this city, every inch of this place is teeming with history- sometimes I have to stop and just stare in awe at all of the new things I am seeing. Most days I spend my time wandering around, stopping to sketch a cathedral, or a particularly picturesque view. Wandering around has helped me to learn this city, its people, and the way of life here in beautiful Poland.

Before I left, when I told people I was going to be an exchange student in Poland, no one was incredibly impressed. "Why Poland?", "Julia, Poland is like the cesspool of Europe." To be honest, I really did not know why I chose Poland- it looked interesting, I was not really thinking about how difficult the polish language was, and I knew I did not want to go to France, or some other popular european tourist destination. I do not know why I chose Poland, but thank GOD I did. I love this country. I love the polish demeanor, polish houses, polish friendliness, polish food (above all.) I have made many friends and going out with Polish people is so much fun: poles love to have a good time.

My exchange student friends have become my family, and together we explore Wroclaw on a daily basis, with our polish friends whenever possible. We spend a lot of time at cheap cafes, sitting in the city center, taking photographs, eating food. Next week I will start Yoga classes, art classes, and photography classes. I now have vocal classes and art classes through school: they switched me to the school with the other exchange students because my school was not working out for me for various reasons. It is better now because I am able to take classes with students who are not studying twenty four seven for their graduation test, the Matura exam.

In November I will go on EUROTOUR! I am so excited about this- all of the exchange students will be traveling to Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, and France. I love Poland and I do not really have a desire to leave for awhile but this tour should be incredible.

It is really early in the morning here, the sun just got up and I along with it. All of the details of my last month here are really fuzzy so I cannot really remember any particularly amusing stories. My polish is improving- I now understand almost everything, or get the gist of it at least. I can speak better than I could before, in broken polish but I can communicate myself. Polish is such a cool language, I can't wait to be able to say I can speak it well: the day will come, I am crossing my fingers.

I will try to update this from now on a more regular basis. This post is a bit lame because I can remember nothing and my new life here just feels like a new life now. Check back next week for a new post: it will be here, I promise!

Do widzenia!
Kocham cie!

Julia

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julia, you don't know me, but I'm a junior in high school in Nashville, TN, and am looking into studying abroad in Poland or even attending university in Poland. I've just started learning some Polish with the Pimsleur program (no books, just audio), and I've been learning some basic words and phrases from two of my teachers, who have influenced me and helped me to fall in love with Polish [language, culture, Poland itself, etc.], but since you're actually there, what's it like? From reading your posts, it sounds like you're really loving it! If you wouldn't mine me asking, how much Polish did you know before you went? You wrote that you can pretty much understand everything and are able to express yourself fairly well, so that's exciting! Congrats, because it is no easy feat, I know! =D Also, do you think that the academics are much more difficult in Poland than in the US, or would you say that it's manageable? And how's the weather? :)
    Any advice/ideas would be great!
    Good luck, and God bless~
    -Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yulia,

    I am so happy you write this blog. I love it!! I am Polish, raised there and France, but have never been back. I live in nyc now, and have been contenplating whether to go to Poland and stay for a bit. Rediscover things as an adult. I think I will now!!I love following your blog, please keep it updated!!

    ReplyDelete